Wednesday, May 13, 2009

American Idol Recap

Okay, so this is far from the most consequential post I've ever penned. But American Idol is a fun show, if a bit heavy on the melodrama from time to time. I enjoy watching the performers mature in their abilities over the weeks the show runs each season, and have fun rooting for the one I actually like. Now that it's down to the final three, here's my take:
  1. Adam: Adam sang U2's "One" for his judge's choice song. Pretty forgettable, especially in light of the fact that I don't believe anyone not Bono should ever sing U2, and the fact that it is not one of their better known songs. Adam should also never be allowed to sing Steven Tyler, though he did okay with "Cryin', " the song he picked for himself. Some bands/artists are inimitable, and anyone who attempts one of their songs necessarily suffers by comparison. I've got no doubt that Adam can sing, but to me he always comes off like he's just escaped from his lead role in the stage revival of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Even if Adam wins (which all the judges seem to assume will happen), I don't think he will have much of a career after the show, since '80's glam rock pretty much died at the end of that decade, and Poison isn't looking for any new members.
  2. Danny: Danny sang "Dance Little Sister," which adds another title to the long list of songs performed on American Idol I'd never heard of before. (Apparently, it's by Terence Trent D'Arby, which probably explains why I don't recognize it). For his own song choice, he did "You are so beautiful." Danny did a competent job with both of these songs, though I didn't like the arrangement of "You are so beautiful." I keep waiting on Danny to have a moment, like Kris' take on "Ain't No Sunshine" or Adam's "Tracks of My Tears." So far, it has not been forthcoming. I like Danny, but I think he's goin' home.
  3. Kris: Kris sang "Apologize" with the piano and "Heartless" with just him and an acoustic guitar. I've never heard either of these songs before (maybe being outside the target demographic has something to do with this), but I liked them both, despite the judges only enjoying the 2nd one. Kris is clearly the best musician even if he is about even on the singing.
I think it will be a fight to the finish. I doubt both Kris and Danny get into the finals, because I think they will split the same base of voters. However, when it comes down to either of them versus Adam, I'm betting there are a lot more bluesy pop fans than screamy rocker fans out there. Especially since all the fans of screamy rock now have gotten "old" and regard such stuff as "noise" from their youth (to the extent we can still hear after years of Aerosmith casettes too loud on our Walkmans).

We'll see what happens, but I'd put my money on Kris Allen to win it all and have a career.

3 comments:

Garden Girl said...

Ditto all that.

The Rosetto's said...

Wow Joe! I didn't realize u were such an Idol fan. I voted for Kris on Tuesday. Had 2 phones going at once. Glad he is in the finals.

The Bullhorn said...

Tiffany- What can I say? I'm a surprising guy...