Saturday, April 18, 2009

My day off

I took a much-needed day off from church yesterday. As God's grace provided, it was a great day. I woke up at 4:40 and went turkey hunting until the last tom wandered off the property and quit gobbling around 7:30, then came home, took a shower and went to Menards with Karen. At Menards, we discovered they had all their veggies on sale at 6 plants for $1.69, a great deal. So we bought cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers in abundance.

After we got home, I slipped on my old Red Wing steel-toed boots (from back in my college days when I worked summers at my dad's lumber company) and proceeded to dig out five nasty bushes that Karen hated and to help Karen transplant some peonies from the bed where we want to plant my tomatoes to the bed where three of the bushes used to reside. After that, I went to hardware store and bought some dirt and mulch and then picked up the kids from school. When we all got home, I spread the dirt and mulch while Karen planted everything but the tomatoes. When that was finished, I cut up the last of the big branches left over from our big winter ice storms so we can take them to the dump today. By that time, it was about supper, so we took the kids to Taco Bell and then to a local park for dinner and tag on the playground.

When we got home, bathed the kids, let them watch Scooby-Doo for a while and put them to bed. Finally, we showered, discovered our sunburned faces (and my scalp-I need a hat!) collapsed in a heap on the couch, exhausted but satisfied with life.

It was a good day.

No comments: