Thursday, March 26, 2009

From the department of shameless plugs...

Blogging is an inherently narcissistic affair. To write a blog, you have to be at least self-centered enough to believe that your thoughts are worth publishing. Since I have maintained this blog, I must be at least that narcissistic, no? Anyway, since I have this little corner of the Internet devoted to me and my important-enough-to-share thoughts, I thought I'd encourage my band of faithful readers to check out a truly great product I've discovered from a tiny little coffee roastery based in Dallas.

Marks' Brothers Big World Coffee Roasters has become the official coffee addict's supplier for The Bullhorn and his sweetie, the Horn Herd Mom. (Full Disclosure: Greg, one of the owners, is also a friend and we formerly served on staff together at a church in Iowa). They offer six varieties of premium coffees from around the world. Each is different, each is roasted in a way that brings out the unique flavors of its type, and each is good. I ordered a 5 lb. bag of the Sulawesi Torajaland for our house, and two friends ordered the Brazilian Yellow Bourbon and the Tanzanian Peaberry, respectively. I also got a small bag of the Ethiopian Sidamo in the bargain.

We ordered last week. They roasted it last week after we ordered, and it arrived via Fed-Ex on Friday. Great service, and the product is awesome. We made the Sidamo this morning at our house, and you really can taste the blueberry notes in this coffee, just like they say. It's a bit mild for my taste, more of a soft morning coffee caress than a "Whoa! That's COFFEE!" haymaker, but very good and suitable for all-day consumption. I'm really looking forward to the Sulawesi, which is a much more powerful variety with a darker roast.

Anyway, if you're a coffee junkie, I encourage you to check it out. You won't regret it.

4 comments:

Jeff A said...

I will check have to check it out. Also - try www.intelligentsiacoffee.com. They roast right here in Chicago and do really great stuff.

thehes said...

So does this mean Karen is off her no-caffeine until Easter program? Sounds too delicious to pass up...

Kelly said...

Thanks, Joe and Karen. So happy you're enjoying the coffee - we're pretty happy with it too. :) I'm pretty partial to the Guatemala "way-way". We so appreciate your friendship!

Greg said...

Thanks for the shameless plug. You are a great friend. I hope you enjoy the coffee.