Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The God who comes during the 4th watch

I've been reading a book called If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat with the men's group I lead on Wednesday mornings. Each chapter reflects on Peter's decision to follow Jesus out onto the water. It's a book all about spiritual risk taking, about leaps of faith onto the everlasting arms of the Lord who calls us to follow Him to "a land I will show you" and pay everything we have to obtain a "pearl of great price."

We are nearing the end of the book now, in a chapter called "Learning to Wait." That's probably the hardest lesson for me, I think. I am an American after all, a product of the original Super-sized, microwaved, express-laned culture of impatient, constant change. Waiting comes about as naturally to me as flight to tortoises, so what I was reading today (in preparation for tomorrow) really struck me.

The author notes that Jesus didn't come to the disciples on the lake until the 4th watch of the night (somewhere between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m.), even though the disciples had been out on the boat since sundown the previous day. Moreover, the disciples had been fighting against the wind and the waves for hours when Jesus came out to them. I wonder if any of them wondered during all that time where Jesus was in the midst of their struggle. Somehow, I'll bet they did, just like I sometimes wonder in the midst of mine. But learning to wait is a central part of learning to trust.
Faint hearts may have even begun to wonder whether the Lord Himself had not abandoned them to their fate, or to doubt the reality of Christ. They are to learn from this story that they are not forsaken, that the Lord watches over them unseen... [that] the Living One, Master of wind and waves, will surely come quickly for their salvation, even though it be "in the fourth watch of the night. -A. E. J. Rawlinson


4 comments:

Lynn said...

Joe, I heard Charles Stanley say something about waiting that I could totally relate to and took to heart, "There is only one thing worse than waiting on God, and that is not waiting and then finding out that it is too late!" Whenever I am tempted to rush ahead, I remember this truth and halt. In this light, waiting is not so bad.

The Bullhorn said...

Lynn,

You are of course perfectly correct from a theological perspective. If only it were always so easy for me in real life...

Horn herd mom said...

I often find encouragement from David in seeing his honesty before God. In Psalm 62:1 he speaks of how his soul waits for the Lord "My soul waits in silence for God only" and then in Psalm 62:5 he reminds himself that he needs to wait "My soul, wait in silence for God only." How often to I need to remind myself over and over again in my struggle to wait on the Lord.

Lynn said...

Joe,

I never mentioned the word "easy"...
I have in the past and continue to learn this truth the hard way. After getting burned so many times, I think it has started to sink in!