Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Visions of sugarplums

There is no more magical thing in all the world than being a kid on Christmas day. Fortunately for me, I never entirely grew up, so a little Christmas magic still remains for me each year. I simply love giving gifts and watching the surprise and wonder on the kids' faces when the wake up and find the tree surrounded with presents. This year has been my favorite Christmas with my children so far. Everybody seems to have gotten what they really wanted, with a profusion of Barbies, princesses, and assorted "girly-ness" (bubble bath, stationery, miniature puppies, clothes, etc.) for my daughters and dinosaurs, Transformers, tools, and guns for the boys. By the way, isn't it interesting that it's Christmas 1985 in all of the toy stores? I hadn't seen this many Transformers, Cabbage Patch Kids, Star Wars figures, Care Bears, and Strawberry Shortcake dolls in a store since my own childhood. All they need is He-Man and the Masters of the Universe to make my trip down nostalgia lane complete.

Karen made her traditional Christmas morning cinnamon rolls. Lunch was getyourowni. Dinner was a glorious brown sugar glazed ham with green beans, cornbread dressing, and Mediterranean herb bread. Dessert was going to be peach pie topped with freshly whipped cream, but we were too stuffed.

It was a good day.

No comments: