Sunday, December 9, 2007

A cancelled service

Today was the first time I can remember when I was schedule to preach and didn't. I mean, usually when I'm scheduled to preach, I'm like the Post Office-neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, nor dark of night, etc., etc. will keep me from my appointed preaching. I've preached before with the flu, literally going from throwing up to preaching 10 minutes later.

So I wasn't quite sure what to do today. Not only was I not preaching, we didn't even have church. And I really can't remember the last time I was home and didn't go to church and worship. I was completely discombobulated. The cause of all this calamity? About 1/8" of ice that fell right around 8:00 a.m.

The upside of all of this was two-fold: One, I already have my sermon and Sunday School lesson for this week done, so that makes my week a whole lot simpler. And two, we had actual family devotions today. While we pray together several times daily, formal devotions have become pretty rare. But today, we got to have them. I read the Scriptures, Karen, the kids, and I all prayed together, and then we reviewed the story. It was a pretty cool way to spend the morning in the absence of worshiping together at church. Who knows? Maybe we'll even try to do this more regularly now that I know it isn't completly impossible with four kids age 6 and under.

No comments: