Thursday, September 13, 2007

Your last big move

Moving has been the preoccupation of my life the past few months. While Karen and I are almost unpacked and have duly sworn to each other never to move again, we're still not totally settled. A few more boxes (mostly my hunting stuff) still need unpacked and darn few pictures are up on the walls. Ah well, winter is coming and there will be time for all that during the grey months of January and February. But the fact that I have recently moved gave a special resonance to something I read in one of the books I am studying. According to Jerry Seinfeld:
To me, if life boils down to one significant thing, it's movement.

To live is to keep moving. Unfortunately, this means that for the rest of our lives we're going to be looking for boxes.

When you're moving, your whole world is boxes. That's all you think about. "Boxes, where are the boxes?" You just wander down the street going in and out of stores, "Are there boxes here? Have you seen any boxes?" It's all you think about.

You could be at a funeral, everyone around you is mourning, crying, and you're looking at the casket. "That's a nice box. Does anybody know where that guy got that box? When he's done with it, you think I could get it? It's got some nice handles on it. My stereo would fit right in there."
I mean that's what death is, really-the last big move of your life. The hearse is like the van, the pallbearers are your close friends, the only ones you could really ask to help you with a big move like that. And the casket is that great, perfect box you've been looking for your whole life.
What will be the worth of my life, I wonder, when I make "the last big move?" What will be the worth of yours?


No comments: