Thursday, February 11, 2010

The heart of the matter

I had a small scare yesterday. I was having chest pain on the left side of my chest, just below my left pectoral muscle. I also had some slight tingling in my left hand. The chest pain was initially coming and going, but when it just stayed there as a dull ache in my chest, I decided that it was time I got myself to the ER to be checked out. I had an EKG, and two blood enzyme tests four hours apart. My blood pressure was fine. My heart rate varied between 48 and 52 beats/minute resting. All seemed okay, but I still was having the pain. Ominous symptoms of a problem, but nothing apparent.

The ER doc told me he is convinced that I have not been having any cardiac events, so he started asking me about the cold I've been fighting for the past month. Apparently, my month-long hack and cough festival, which continues today, has the lining of my chest so irritated that I'm now having chest pain. That, and I may have pulled a muscle or two between my ribs. So yesterday, they put me on a prescription anti-inflammatory medicine with enough to last for 10 days. Today I had a cardiac stress test just to make sure that I'm not having problems. All signs point to my being in generally good health.

For that, I'm relieved. Now, if only I could get my regular doctor to believe me when I tell him that I need something for this cough...

No comments: