Saturday, August 16, 2008

Deer Season

I got my deer tags this past week. So I can now legally shoot two deer during shotgun season, and one during muzzleloader season. I have also saved a week's vacation so my Dad and I can bowhunt the rut in early November. It may sound weird to those who don't hunt, but hunting has always been a deeply spiritual experience for me. The quiet of the woods, the beauty of God's creation, the mixture of triumph and sadness as you stand over your fallen quarry, is something I can't quite explain to someone who has never experienced it. I pray on stand quite a bit, both for a deer to come down the trail, and for all of the things I never quite seem to get around to at other times. It's on the deer stand, all alone in the woods with the Lord, the snow, and the deer, that I think I have learned what it means to "Be still and know that I am God."

No comments: