Thursday, October 11, 2007

My latest trip to the ER

Shortly after my last post, I started feeling sick. I struggled through it for a couple days, but by Tuesday night, the abdominal pain was so intense that I had Karen see me off to the ER down at OSF. This proved to be a good decision, as there they were able to track the problem back to a set of gallstones that were supposedly asymptomatic a couple years ago that have now decided to make their presence felt. A couple shots later, I was on my way with a prescription for Vicodin and an appointment to see a surgeon today.

One of the shots was a pretty healthy dose of morphine, which sounds a lot better before the shot than after. It's a pretty gross medicine that made me nauseous (which required another shot to counteract), and I think somewhere between the shots and the Vicodin I started taking just afterward I saw the Purple Haze that Jimi Hendrix sang about.

I have subsisted on Triscuits and orange Gatorade from Tuesday night until lunchtime today, when I got to have a turkey sandwich with lettuce and bread, but no mayo. I also stopped taking the Vicodin sometime last night, so I would be reasonably coherent today when we met the the surgeon. So far, so good.

Surgery will be tomorrow at 2 p.m. I like the surgeon and he tells me I will be fine once my gallbladder comes out. Full recovery should be about 2 weeks, but I should be back to work within a week or so.

All of this to say, it may be a few days between posts, though I am going to try to post at least once more before I enter "Vicodin world" again and can't be held responsible for what I say and do.

No comments: