Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Gethsemane

On early Wednesday mornings, I am reading and discussing The Cross Centered Life by C. J. Mahaney with some fine Christian men. Here's part of this week's reading:
As we watch Jesus pray in agony in Gethsemane, He has every right to turn his tearful eyes toward you and me and shout, "This is your cup. You're responsible for this. It's your sin! You drink it." This cup should rightfully be thrust into my hand and yours.

Instead, Jesus freely takes it Himself...so that from the cross He can look down at you at me, whisper our names, and say, "I drain this cup for you--for you who have lived in defiance of Me, who have hated Me, who have opposed Me. I drink it all...for you."

This is what our sin makes necessary. This is what's required by your pride and my pride, by your selfishness and my selfishness, by your disobedience and my disobedience. Behold Him...behold His suffering...and recognize His love.

No comments: