Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Top 10 Bible Stories You Didn't Learn in Sunday School

At CBC, we have been blessed to have an intern for the rest of summer. He's a big fan of the book of Judges, and out of a discussion of that book he mentioned that he and seminary buddy of his used to talk about the "Top 10 Bible Stories You Didn't Learn in Sunday School." Which got me thinking about the differences between what I would include in the Bible if I were writing it and what God chose to include and the differences in the reasons why. With that in mind, here's my list of the Top 10.
10. Abraham and Abimilech (Genesis 20)
9. Judah and Tamar (Genesis 38)
8. Zimri and Cozbi (Numbers 25)
7. The Annihilation of Midian (Numbers 31)
6. Ehud the left-handed warrior (Judges 3)
5. Jael & Sisera (Judges 4)
4. Jepthah and his daughter (Judges 11)
3. Amnon & Tamar (2 Samuel 13)
2. David and Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11)
1. The Levite's Concubine (Judges 19)

These passages teach me two lessons: 1) God's ways are not my ways; 2) God chooses to use deeply flawed people to accomplish His purposes. Both of these thoughts are deeply encouraging to me.

3 comments:

Alissa said...

You have to admit, the story of Ehud has some pretty funny lines in it. :)

The Bullhorn said...

My favorite part is when the servants are afraid to go in because they don't want to disturb the boss while he is "covering his feet," not realizing that the smell is the stuff Ehud's sword pushed out his back...

Alissa said...

HA!! Yes...and the other one is that the king's fat enveloped the sword. :)