Wednesday, May 7, 2008

God is faithful

Last month was not a good month for the Horn clan. I was hardly ever home at night, spent five days out of state away from the family, and averaged 60+ hours of work per week. Not a healthy and balanced life. In addition to this, we had $1000 in car repair, an over the range microwave that caught fire in our kitchen (nothing we had to extinguish, fortunately), and a washing machine that went on the fritz (not good when you consider that one day's clothes = 1 load in a family of six). Altogether about $1500 in unexpected bills. We griped and prayed (mostly griped, I think, but prayed too). Yet God was faithful and ensured we met our bills without plunging into debt. He didn't have to do that, and we surely didn't deserve His grace to us, but it came just the same.

Which is sort of typical of how He works. Grace when have no right to expect it, have done nothing to deserve it, and yet still need it. So why I am still shocked when He is gracious? I must have much further to go in learning to trust Him, because George Mueller I'm not, but He keeps on being faithful even when I am not so much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
Good post and nice George Mueller reference - I am amazed at how he could trust God like he did. And I suppose I am a little scared to learn.

The Bullhorn said...

It's beyond me at this point. I'm not sure how a person learns to trust God that far. Praying for your needs I understand, but never even mentioning them to anyone but God? Again, I've not done that and wonder if I am able to...

BTW, great to hear from you and thanks for the recent blogrolls!

Jenna said...

Not related to the post...but, hedge funds are where it's at right now. And hopefully they continue to be where it's at until Joey's out of seminary at least.

And yes, the crab cakes were hard to resist...