Monday, March 3, 2008

From the lips of children and infants...

I spend a part of each night tucking in the girls. Though I'm usually pretty tired by the time they go to bed, most nights I really look forward to those few minutes alone with each of them. Every night we have the same routine. I arrange their blankets and tuck them in, then we pray together, I answer the last of the day's questions, turn out the lights, and wish them good night. On most nights I pray for peaceful sleep, the absence of nightmares, and good days at school. But I also pray on most nights that they will grow into great followers of Jesus and have opportunities to talk about Jesus with each of their friends. Usually these prayers conclude with hugs and kisses and wishes for a good night. Tonight was different.

Tonight after I finished praying, Sara stopped me and said "Daddy, I'm scared to talk to my friends about Jesus." When I asked why, she replied "Because I'm scared that they won't like me anymore if I talk to them about Jesus and I don't want to lose any of my friends." Then she started to cry. After I dried her tears, we talked about the fact that sometimes doing the right thing is scary and carries a cost, but it is still the right thing to do.

When adults get vulnerable with one another about why they don't talk about Jesus with their friends and family, fear of rejection tops the list of reasons. I was shocked to realize that fear starts so early. Apparently, it's Satan's best lie and he can't wait to use it.

No comments: